Montana Motorcycle Laws and Information
Legislature | State Motorcyclists Rights Organization (SMRO)
Motorcycle helmet law:
61-9-417. Headgear required for minor motorcycle riders.
(1) An operator and passenger under 18 years of age of a motorcycle or quadricycle operated upon the streets or highways of this state shall wear protective headgear upon the head. The headgear must meet standards established by the department of justice.
(2) A person may not operate a motorcycle upon a highway in the state unless all passengers under 18 years of age are in compliance with subsection (1).
Other motorcycle laws:
61-9-418. Motorcycle noise suppression devices.
All motorcycles or quadricycles operated on the streets and highways of this state shall be equipped at all times with noise suppression devices, including an exhaust muffler, in good working order and in constant operation. In addition, all motorcycles and quadricycles operating on streets and highways shall meet the following noise decibel limitations, on the standard A scale, such decibel limitations to be measured at 50 feet distant from the closest point to the motorcycle or quadricycle:
(1) any cycle manufactured prior to 1970 92 db(A)
(2) any cycle manufactured after 1969 but prior to 1973 88 db(A)
(3) any cycle manufactured after 1972 but prior to 1975 86 db(A)
(4) any cycle manufactured after 1974 but prior to 1978 80 db(A)
(5) any cycle manufactured after 1977 but prior to 1988 75 db(A)
(6) any cycle manufactured after 1987 70 db(A)